Post date: Aug 5, 2012 6:00:50 AM
Happy Summer, Mound Families!
I hope you’ve had a wonderful summer and have made some unforgettable family memories! I’m looking forward to serving our school as PTO President, and I invite you to share with me your ideas, questions, and concerns. I've been a Mound parent for eight years and am committed to supporting this excellent school built by dedicated staff, teachers, parents and students!
As we all enjoy the last weeks of summer and start getting excited for school, there are a few items to start thinking about…
Parent Help Days, Aug. 17 & Aug. 18: Many of our teachers are already back in their classrooms, volunteering their time to get ready for our students. Due to budget cuts, their paid prep days were reduced again this year, so we are again organizing two Parent Help Days, to assist them in getting everything ready to go in a short amount of time. Parent volunteers are needed for those days to help with laminating, copying, collating, gluing, etc. Please check the schedule and sign up to help if you can at: www.SignUpGenius.com/go/10C0F4BABAC2AA20-teacher or by emailing me directly (either way make sure I have your email contact info!).
Vons Back-to-School: Beginning August 8, Vons shoppers can help Mound earn money by either saving their Vons receipts and bringing them in to the Mound office once school begins or by using their Vons card that’s already registered with eScrip to benefit our school.
To keep a lamp burning we have to keep putting oil in it.
- - Mother Teresa
which leads me to...
Open PTO positions: We have a few empty Committee positions and teams that need to be filled before school starts. Please review the following list of positions and sign up at www.SignUpGenius.com/go/10C0F4BABAC2AA20-mound if you can help (or email me directly – either way, make sure I get your email address!). Please contact me if you’d like more information:
- Traffic-Guards: The City of Ventura provides one crossing guard who’s responsible for the crosswalk across Hill Rd. in front of the school. But traffic flows much more smoothly and safely if we also have volunteers minding the crosswalk at the exit of the parking lot and on Brookshire. If we can get 10 parents to do one morning or afternoon shift per week, our students will be safer and our parents will get in and out of the parking lot much quicker! Training provided!
- Hospitality Chair & Team: Organize appreciation breakfasts/luncheons for teachers and staff. Ideally, this would be a team of people that could share the responsibility.
- Beautification: Coordinate “spruce up the school” Saturdays twice a year to plant plants, spraywash the school, etc. (Great for working parents/parents who can’t help during school hours)
- Grant Team: Lawyers, researchers, wordsmiths, do we have a job for you! As we build our magnet program this year, we are organizing a grant team to seek outside funding sources and to assist teachers with grant requests. Training provided! (Great for working parents/parents who can’t help during school hours)
- PAC (Parent Advisory Council) Rep: This parent will represent Mound at the VUSD Superintendent’s PAC meetings at the VUSD office one Tuesday a month, 9-11am. Then they’ll report back any pertinent information at the next PTO meeting.
- Salad Bar: Help guide students toward healthy choices from the salad bar and serve salad dressing during lunch (shifts available M-Th).
- VC Star Liaison: Coordinate communications with the VC Star about Mound events. (Great for working parents/parents who can’t help during school hours)
- Lunch Recess Helpers or Noon Aides: Helpers run lunchtime intramural sports/ games, or assist in playground supervision as a noon aide. (some paid positions available)
- Parliamentarian: Maintain current PTO bylaws, update as required. Coordinate PTO Board election at the end of the schoolyear. Needs to be present at PTO meetings. (Main time commitment is monthly Wed. evening PTO meetings.)
Thank you for your help in filling these positions! We wouldn't be Mound without "u"! :-)
Mound PTO President