Fall Book Fair is coming!
Our Mound Book Fair is coming!! Our library will once again transform itself into a cozy bookstore for you to browse at your leisure during conference week. All proceeds will directly benefit our library, with funds going toward new books, covering books, and repairing damaged books. Once again, we will be using Mrs. Nelson’s Book Fairs, and they always have such a broad selection of wonderful new and classic books.
We hope you all can stop by, or sign up to help work a shift if you can!
Please let me know if you have any questions!
Book Fair Sign-up link:
We still need a crossing guard MONDAY and WEDNESDAY mornings in the back drop-off area behind Mound on Brookshire, 7:40 - 8:00AM.
The neighbors are kind to let us drop off there! This gives us one more location to drop off in the mornings, spreading out the traffic.
YOU CAN HELP KEEP OUR KIDS SAFE
and our neighbors happy, thereby keeping the rest of us happy that we don't all have to drop off in front.
Please email email@example.com.
Dec 18th, Red Brick Pizza
You must bring in a flyer and mention Mound while ordering. Flyers will be sent home a couple days before.
This makes for an easy dinner, especially after sports, choir, or other extracurricular activities!
Shop through Amazon?
There are times throughout the year when not a week (sometimes day) goes by without receiving a box from amazon. You know, the box with the smile. Well, here's another way to add a smile to your life. Shop through amazon smile and many purchases you make automatically qualify for a donation to Mound. And it costs you nothing extra! Just go to https://smile.amazon.com and choose Mound School Parent Group in Ventura, CA as your selected charity.
You must go through amazon smile each time for your purchase to count. Save the amazon smile to your home page on your mobile device for easy peasy shopping. If you like using the amazon app on your mobile device, you can add an item to your cart through the app then quickly switch-a-roo to the amazon smile page to complete your purchase.
The Mound Elementary School PTO funds and organizes many of the activities and events that occur throughout the year at Mound Elementary School in Ventura, California.
- The Annual Jog-a-Thon fundraiser
- Gold Medal Reading program
- Reading intervention program
- Art & Music Enrichment
- Field Trips
- Book Fairs
- Outdoor education class trips
- Playground equipment
and so much more!
Myths and Facts About Mound PTO
MYTH: PTO is just for stay-at-home parents.
FACT: PTO is for everyone! Our volunteers are mothers, fathers and other caregivers. Many members stay-at-home; work part-time to full-time; have little ones, preschoolers, high schoolers and/or college students; are continuing their own education; and more.
MYTH: Joining PTO means I have to volunteer. I’ll get roped into something if I go to a PTO meeting.
FACT: You do not have to volunteer to be a member of PTO! There are always opportunities to get involved as we do need a lot of volunteers. We do ask for help but there is no pressure to sign up if you don’t want to volunteer or are unable to. It is okay to say no. We appreciate everyone’s membership regardless of volunteering. The simple act of joining PTO is valuable to our school.
MYTH: I have to be a board member to attend PTO meetings.
FACT: Everyone is welcome at PTO monthly meetings! Dates and times will be posted to the Mound PTO Facebook group page and the Mound PTO website. PTO meetings are a great place to connect with other parents and find out more about what’s happening here at Mound. PTO meetings alternate between mornings and evenings each month to allow for members to come at times they are more available.
- Vision & Hearing Screening escorts (walk kids to and from screening – September 9th)
- Picture Day volunteer
- Music Van (music program for 3rd and 5th grades – November)
- Book Fair (on campus in November; at Barnes & Noble in March)
- Women in History (presentations to classes on significant US women – March)
- Talent Show (Spring)
- Battle of the Books (4th and 5th Grade reading challenge – May)
***Look for the sign-up form sent home first week of school. Complete and return to the PTO box in the front office OR email
Ongoing Events & Committees
- Jogathon Committee (plan Jogathon events for the next year, meetings start in spring)
- Hospitality Committee (plan events, like luncheons, for staff)
- Beautification/Gardens Committee (campus enhancement, ex. gardens, painting)
- Green Team (implement ways to conserve & recycle on campus)
- Teacher Grants Committee (review & select teacher requests for grants)
- Science Lab Committee (organize, inventory and order supplies/equipment for lab)
- Library Helpers (help with general library needs – shelving books, check-ins, etc.)
- Workroom Assistance & Photocopying (Copycats)
- School Safety & Traffic Committee (help keep Mound safe & prepared for emergencies. Volunteer crossing guards are a vital part of this group.
- Lunchtime Help (Salad Bar, Noon Aide)
- Selling Spirit Wear (help 1st VP sell items at Back to School night, orientations, etc.)
- Passive fundraising (help 2nd VP with box tops, Shoparoo, Amazon Smile, etc.)